Glucose is the universal fuel for the body. The amount in the blood is called the “sugar level”. A significant increase in the norm of this level is a problem and a danger! We will figure out how to normalize blood sugar levels and lower blood sugar without drugs, and what products will help with this.
Why is the sugar level rising?
Typically, in a healthy person, the level of fasting blood glucose should be up to 5.5 mmol / l. But it’s only about sugar on an empty stomach. While eating, even in a healthy person, the level of sugar rises.
The reasons for the increase in sugar levels are different:
- eating large amounts of carbohydrates;
- psychological load, stress;
- bad habits (especially smoking);
- intense physical activity or their complete absence;
- some liver diseases;
- taking hormonal drugs.
One of the most dangerous causes is chronic endocrine disease – diabetes.
Normally, a healthy person has a sugar level of 3.3-5.5 mmol / l. Diabetes is diagnosed when blood sugar is above 7.0 mmol/l.
But there is still a “gray zone” when sugar is 5.6–6.9 mmol / l. This stage is called prediabetes, the early stage of diabetes. At this stage, the disease can still be prevented and prevent its development.
What are the symptoms of high sugar?
- weakness, fatigue, dizziness;
- headaches and blurred vision;
- dry mouth, thirst;
- frequent urination, especially at night;
- sudden changes in weight, especially in the direction of sudden weight loss;
- itching, peeling;
- white coating on the tongue;
- poor healing of wounds and cuts, purulent rashes on the face.
Proper balanced nutrition
What foods increase sugar?
- white sugar: confectionery, sweet soda, preserves, jams, milk and white chocolate, pastries;
- vegetables containing a lot of starch in the composition: potatoes and beets;
- the canned food of any kind: homemade vegetable twists, ready-made canned fish or meat;
- sausages contain in their composition, in addition to sugar and salt, also harmful dyes. Therefore, it is better to abandon all sausages and sausages. You can replace them with baked meat or homemade sausages, which consist exclusively of meat and spices;
- Fatty meat, although not directly, is also harmful to diabetes – animal fats affect cholesterol levels and increase the risk of atherosclerosis. Therefore, for a healthy and balanced diet, it is better to give preference to poultry or lean red meat;
- Spicy sauces and pickles – foods that are too spicy or salty – are bad for liver and gallbladder function. Therefore, it is better not to abuse them;
- fruits high in carbohydrates. All fruits are sweet in taste and contain simple carbohydrates in their composition. Therefore, you need to limit their number per day if you want to lose weight. The daily amount of fruit should not exceed 200-250 g. It is better to eat fruit in the morning and fresh. So in fruits all vitamins and microelements, fiber is preserved. In addition, fresh fruits and berries have a lower glycemic index. But there are some fruits that raise blood sugar levels in any amount. Such fruits should be completely excluded from the diet of people who are overweight, prediabetic or diabetic. These are bananas, grapes, persimmons, and cherries;
- Pastries and white bread – flour is a fast carbohydrate, like sugar. Therefore, it is necessary to minimize flour products. Or switch to whole grains;
- Pasta does not need to be completely excluded from the diet, but it is advisable to switch to options from durum wheat and limit their use to 2-3 times a week. It is in this amount that the effect on sugar levels and body weight will be negligible. But if you want to lose weight, then it is advisable to limit pasta in the diet as much as possible;
- fruit juices. At first glance, it seems that there can be nothing wrong with fruit juices, but any juice is fruit in liquid form with a lot of added sugar. Therefore, the effect on body weight and sugar levels is very significant. It is advisable to replace all fruit juices with plain water;
- Dried fruits or fruits in dried form are the same fruits, but devoid of moisture. Therefore, the amount of carbohydrates remains the same. Dried fruits are also often sprinkled with glucose syrup for an attractive appearance. In any case, a huge amount of dried fruits will definitely affect the level of sugar and weight gain. We emphasize that raisins and dates should be completely abandoned; all other dried fruits are allowed in limited quantities;
- Honey. It is made up of fructose. Just like glucose, fructose belongs to fast carbohydrates and raises sugar levels. Therefore, honey is recommended to be limited to 2 tsp. per day. In such quantity, it will only be useful for the body.
At first, denying yourself a sweet can be too difficult. Tip: Instead of sweets with sugar, choose sweet with sweetener. Today it has already been proven that sweeteners do not harm the body and can be a good substitute for regular sugar for people who want to lose weight or have diabetes. Before choosing a sweetener, it is better to consult a doctor in order to choose the optimal substance.
How do you control blood glucose?
The main and simple way is proper nutrition. To be honest, foods that significantly lower blood sugar are more of a myth. But there are healthy and fortified foods that do not affect the level of sugar at all – they do not reduce or increase it.
Foods that lower blood sugar:
- white and green vegetables: onion, turnip, cabbage, spinach, cucumber, asparagus, zucchini, celery, Jerusalem artichoke, broccoli, cauliflower;
- fruits: garden and forest berries, especially dark ones: blueberries, blueberries, blackcurrants, sweet and sour apples, citrus fruits (grapefruit, orange, lemon);
- all cereals, except rice, semolina, and corn: buckwheat, oatmeal, millet, bulgur;
- white sea fish;
- lean poultry, rabbit, beef;
- some foods lower blood sugar due to their high fiber content;
- nuts: almonds, cashews, hazelnuts, walnuts (but no more than 50 g per day), sunflower, and pumpkin seeds;
- seasonings: cinnamon, turmeric, cloves;
- Drinks: water, green tea, chicory.
But remember: the best and safest treatment is prevention! Even in the absence of health complaints, the prevention of high sugar will be useful.
How to control blood sugar?
The answer is simple! This will help not only proper nutrition but also a healthy lifestyle.
1. Give up bad habits. Smoking and alcohol will definitely not help the pancreas and liver cope with already elevated glucose levels.
2. Emotional health and the required amount of sleep at night.
For the full functioning of the body, it is necessary to observe the regime of work and rest. An adult needs 6-8 hours of sleep at night. It is important that night sleep should begin no later than 23:00. After all, only at midnight and in the deep phase of sleep, are 2 important hormones are released. This is the hormone of circadian rhythms – melatonin, and the hormone responsible for metabolism – a growth hormone. People who stay awake between 11:30 pm and 4:00 am are deficient in these hormones. The consequences of this are increased body weight, general weakness, and reduced performance.
Also, take care of yourself and don’t get stressed out. If you are constantly in this state, then the accumulation of stress hormones negatively affects the functions of the body. Today there is an opportunity to discuss your problems and difficult life situations with a specialist. It really helps.
3. Exercise stressing type 2 diabetes mellitus. Regular physical activity and any sport are great helpers in the fight against high sugar levels. The more movement, the faster glucose is consumed and blood sugar decreases. The fact is that with intensive work, the muscles require more glucose for their functioning. This lowers blood glucose levels. Therefore, regular exercise is effective prevention of diabetes and an effective way to reduce body weight.
Doctors recommend any type of exercise for type 2 diabetes. Choose your taste. It can be fitness, yoga, running, functional training, swimming, and dancing. Any kind that you will engage in regularly and for pleasure.
How does exercise affect sugar levels?
Any type of exercise is suitable for a stable decrease in blood sugar. It is important that the exercises are aerobic, that is, with the participation of proper breathing. Aerobic exercise includes all sports except weightlifting and strength training with too much weight. So choose according to your taste. It often happens when overweight people cannot choose a sport. It is better not to choose a very complex type of load. There are a number of exercises in which people of any body weight and obesity can feel comfortable.
List of effective exercises for people who find it difficult to engage in too intense sports:
- slow jogging;
- exercise (15–20 minutes daily);
- gymnastics or yoga;
- regular walking at a different pace.
Proper nutrition, a healthy lifestyle, sports, and emotional health are the best prevention of high blood sugar! But if you notice symptoms of increased glucose levels in yourself, consult a doctor and be sure to take a blood test. Be attentive to your health!
I am Ankit Sharma Nutrition Consultant. My approach is holistic and customized to enable you to achieve true wellness – physically, mentally, and emotionally. I am from India but have clients across the globe. I can work with you to say goodbye to counting calories and short-term solutions. You will achieve long-term sustainable change in the way that they are eating, moving, living, and believing.